Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Third Time Better be a Charm

I keep starting to approach my paper, even forcing out 3-4 pages, and then realizing I was going at it all wrong. The first time, I started to discuss Neoliberal Capitalist Globalization and the havoc this world system is wreaking all over the world. It felt wrong, forced, and abrasive. The last thing I want to do is sound like just another neo-Marxist complaining about the fate of the workers and railing against exploitation. We've all heard that before, it's nothing new, and everyone knows that it is a necessary but insufficient critique of our society today.

So I ditched that approach and instead started to focus on community. What is community? What is it good for? How is it disintegrating?
But I again found myself making broad generalizations about the world and all us sorry suckers in it. Plus, how do I know what community means to all peoples? I don't, and it would be awfully presumptive of me to argue for a specific mode of community orgainizing which would liberate every group of people on the planet (as if they all feel they need liberating...). It was depressing, detached and worst of all boring.
No way to start a paper about the thing that makes my life meaningful and drives me to keep going and struggling against all odds.

So, I'm starting all over agiain. Again. This time I want to try to approach the subject from what I know best, which is my own experience. I'm going to talk about my experinces with student and community organizing, my travels to Mexico, and why I feel like community really is the end-all be-all answer.

Hopefully I can convey the intense passion I feel about these things and infect others.

Update:
We have dropped the community collective for now. There may be summer reading group in our future though :)

No comments: